Saturday, August 21, 2010

NYC Day 3

And finally, my last day in the city.  I was sad to be done but very happy at the same time.  I missed my BF and the comforts of home.  I had trouble sleeping the night before so I was pretty tired out Thurs morning.  I got up, got ready and packed the last of my things. I kept hearing all kinds of loud noise outside my door while I was getting ready to go, when I opened the hotel room door, I found out why.  I opened the door to see 2 Asian men on the floor with tools and the entire floor of my whole hallway was chopped up wood!!!!!  I was in shock but was very tempted to take a pic LOL I stood there and one man spoke in a foreign language to the other one and just kept saying thank you to me over and over again and opened the hall door for me so I could get out.  I could not even close my hotel room door and kept asking him to do it while I pointed at it and he just kept saying thank you.  I shook my head and went downstairs to check out.  Upon check out, I was told I had to be charged another $60.  Apparently, "someone new" forgot to charge me the taxes and fees on the room so once I saw the paperwork I knew it was the correct total and paid.  Not sure how "someone new" did this when the guy who asked me to pay was the guy who also checked me into the hotel?  No harm done I guess.  I checked my bags and sat in the lobby to do my email and facebook stuff.

From there, I walked over to get breakfast at Good Enough to Eat. I had french toast and bacon, very yummy.  I love a good cinnamony french toast. After that I walked a bit to look for a shop I wanted to see but couldn't find it.  I moved on to the next one on my list, Satya.  Fancy enough that I had to be buzzed in.  They had nice jewelry but nothing I had to have so I moved no to Zabars. I browsed all the kitchen gadgets and gourmet foods but didn't buy anything.  I didn't want to carry much with me and most of the foods I would want needed to be refrigerated. From there I walked to the American Museum of Natural History. I enjoyed being inside, seeing the many exhibits and keeping cool though my feet had pretty much had it with walking by now.  I loved the dinosaurs and the minerals the most.  Then there is the infamous giant blue whale. I skipped some halls because I am not as into the dioramas of fake people set up to look historic or the animals that have been stuffed for display. Those always bother me. 
From there, it was time for some shopping.  My hotel's neighborhood was home to some fabulous bakeries I have always wanted to try so I was very excited.  First, before the bakeries, I stopped at Michal Golan, an amazing jewelry designer. I already have a couple pieces and had also given my mom some as gifts. Almost the whole store was 40% off and you cannot beat that one gorgeous ornate jewelry. The sale ends tomorrow for those of you in the city who might want to swing by. I found a pair of earrings that called out to me and then it was time for bakeries.
 My first bakery stop, Magnolia on Columbus Ave! I got a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting and a vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting.  After that, I walked to Grandaisy Bakery on West 72nd. There I got tortino di cioccolata (a flourless chocolate cake), and a brioche.  I crossed the street and walked a bit farther east to Buttercup Bake Shop.  There I sat for a rest and had a gingerale.  I bought a lemon cupcake and golden vanilla cupcake to bring home.  After that, it was time for my last bakery stop at Levain Bakery. I picked up 2 dark chocolate chocolate chip cookies and 2 dark chocolate peanut butter chip cookies.  They looked amazing! After this, I headed back to the hotel with a quick stop for a pink lemonade and bagel for lunch.
Magnolia bakery cupcakes
Brioche from Grandaisy
Cupcakes from Buttercup Bake Shop
Levain Cookies
When I got back to the hotel, I picked up my bags and asked if it was okay if I waited in the lobby for a while.  They said of course so I rested and cooled off while checking my email and facebook.  Once I had the energy to make it to the subway one last time, while carrying my big stuffed backpack and 2 shopping totes, trying to keep my baked goodies safe for the trip home.  I made it to Penn Station and decided to stand in line and try to get on an earlier train home.  It was roasting hot in there and I was tired and did not want to sit around for hours waiting.  They said it would cost more but I thought it was worth it to get home earlier.  I was beat and it was time for home.  I let the BF know I would be home in time to see him before he left for work and he was happy.  My train came in less than an hour and I was home around 9:30pm.  I was heard coming in the front door and the apartment door flung open as I was walking up the stairs.  Kitty ran over to greet me too LOL It felt good to be missed.  I had such a wonderful time in the city and hope to get back there again soon to all the wonderful sights, things to do and most of all my wonderful friends who live in and around the city and who can be found at the Time Square Bare Escentuals boutique. Pin It StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comment! Sorry I had to set up moderation because I was getting a lot of spam.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.